Muslims believe that the following texts were authored by God, and sent down to humanity via His Prophets (PBUT);
- Suhuf Ibrahim (Scrolls of Abraham) – Revealed (approximately ???) to Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) PBUH revelation started 1st of Ramadan
- Torat (Torah) – Revealed (approximately 1500 BCE) to Prophet Musa (Moses) PBUH revelation started 6th of Ramadan
- Zabur (Pslams) – Revealed (approximately 1000 BCE) to Prophet Dawud (David) PBUH revelation started 18th of Ramadan
- Injeel (Gospel) – Revealed (approximately 1 CE) to Prophet Esa (Christ) PBUH revelation started 13th of Ramadan
- Quran – Revealed (approximately 610 to 632 CE) to Prophet Muhammad PBUH revelation started 23rd of Ramadan
Point to consider (yet to be verified) is the determination of the time of revelation of these scriptures.
These holy scriptures convey wisdom and divine law to humanity. The ‘lay Muslim’ believes that even though the earlier scriptures were divinely revealed to beloved Prophets of God, these have been “corrupted” over the centuries and are no longer reliable. To Muslims, Quran is the final revelation from God, and the completion of previous scriptures. Quran is the scale with which to measure all previous scriptures.
Most non-Muslims are surprised to hear that many events and occurrences presented in the previous scriptures are also prominently communicated in the Quran. “The word the Torah [pronounced as al-Taurat] is mentioned 16 times in the Quran; and the word the Bible [pronounced as al-Injeel] is mentioned 12 times in the Quran.” – Tarig Anter